Friday, February 27, 2009

Teaching An Old Dog,
New Tricks 101




I discovered something ladies...
you CAN teach an old dog new tricks!

(It just requires the proper motivation...and some good old-fashioned ego stroking.)

Case in point: Year after year, we've done the same old, same old for Valentine's Day (not that I'm complaining...same old is much better than nothing!!) But this year, I was kind of hoping for a little. more. effort.

(Yes...I said the E word.)


And, to my great pleasure, my old dog, delivered up some fantastic new tricks!

{Insert ego stroking here...}

Behold, Valentine's Day 2009:
Scavenger Hunt 'O Love

Pre-hunt with Sean and Jodi.


Jodi and I killing time while we gave the boys a head start.
We had strict orders not to read the first clue until 7:00 p.m.


The boys led us on a wild goose chase all around town. At each location they left 2 long-stemmed roses and our next clue. Not only did we have to figure out locations, but we had to accurately solve some riddles from our collective couple history to figure out which clue to read next.

Jen finding a clue hidden in the garden at Firgrove Elementary.

Jodi flashing a big smile after discovering a clue hidden by the McDonald's drive-thru sign (or was it relief at not having to actually drive your car thru the drive-thru to get your next clue?)

Book drop at the South Hill library.

Ecstatic after finally finding the clue at Lipoma Firs.
(Hopefully, we're not on some hidden security camera for trespassing!)

YMCA membership desk...after closing time. Yikes!

Puyallup So. Stake Center Storage Shed.

Silver Creek Soccer Field

Carson Elementary


The clues took us all across town from Wal-Mart to the golf course, to Josh's storage shed to the elementary school. Twelve clues, each with a rose which eventually led us to dinner and our biggest prize of all...Our men (with the final rose completing our dozen roses.)



We loved the well-planned, fun, romantic evening...

and to think that it could occur

"all because two people fell in love."


To my "old dog" Josh, I can't believe you've put up with me for nearly 11 years. As I reflect on our first Valentine's Day together 11 years ago when your tricks were still new and you surprised me with a diamond ring and asked me to marry you, I still feel giddy. I love you as much today as I did then...and a whole lot more! Thank you for the extra effort this Valentine's Day. You're the best. I'm still the luckiest girl in the world!

6 comments:

Mimi said...

Cute cute cute!!! Rebecca and I were talking about doing a couples Amazing Race- inspired by your blog. You should do it with us because lets be honest- your husband did really come through for Love day!! I guess it's the ladies turn to make a date super fun.

So, I have a clip of E and K on my blog- it cracks me up. At one point K looks at the camera as if to say, "is she serious?"

Jessica said...

Good Work Josh!!! How fun!

lauren said...

UM... so cute! way to go josh!!

Mari Elizabeth Couture said...

What a great post! My brother did so good & you deserve every bit of it! Valentines day is what you make it I say, & it looks like you had a fantastic one!!

manhattan crew said...

Well done Josh! I cant tell you how happy it makes me to hear of how much you both love eachother!

Amms

Rebecca Pierce said...

What a fun idea. Mimi beat me to the comment, but we had a creative date planned for v-day too, and it turned us on to the idea of doing that more often. Dating your husband should not include dinner and a movie. Anyway, props to Josh and Sean.