Monday, September 1, 2008

Let Them Be Little



Today, while we were celebrating Labor Day with some family friends at their lake house, I had an epiphany. My kids are growing up. Quickly.

I remember shortly after having Jacob (now 6 1/2), older women, who were quick to share their motherly wisdom with me, told me to "love them while they are little" and to "cherish this time" because "in a blink of an eye this time I have with them would be nothing more than a memory." Although I didn't doubt them, I had no idea how fast "a blink of an eye" really is.

As I stood on the boat dock and watched Landon (8 months) steal cookies and chips out of the hands of those who were holding him, and witnessed Kaylee (3 1/2)plop her little body into a canoe & observed Jacob catch tadpoles with a fishing net, I realized I am in no rush to have these 3 little beings grow up. I needed the reminder. In that moment, I wanted nothing more than to let them be little.







For some reason, being away from home and the constant pressure of maintaining cleanliness and order, it was easier to let them be kids. It didn't matter that Kaylee was playing in the dirt, that Jacob gave himself a mud bath, that they insisted on drinking pop and eating junk food before their lunch. There were no clocks to dictate play time being over. No to-do lists taking priority. Today, I enjoyed watching my kids play, watching them just be little.







Thanks Jones Family, for another fun-filled day. Thanks for allowing me to enjoy my kids...while they are little. A blink of an eye is coming too soon for this mom.

















3 comments:

Jodi Elwell said...

Those are some great pictures. I will have to get copies. I didn't take as many as I thought. I love the one of you waterskiing! It was a fun time and it was great to let the kids play and have fun. I couldn't agree with you more. My baby will be in YW's next year and that is very scary to me.

Rebecca Pierce said...

It truly flies bye. I know I didn't always feel that way, but you are right. Your beautiful Kaylee has the hair of a sixteen year old. You are soooooo lucky!

Chris and Mari Spiker said...

Your kids are SOOOO good looking! I love them, I get very sad that its been so long since I have seen them..I am such a stranger to you guys!!